Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Homogenization of America


Guess what is at Wal-Mart?!!!! That's right East Coast has finally met West Coast; Red Vines are here! I a still suspicious if they are here to stay, so every time I go in I hoard a few more packages. The first day I saw them was when I was doing my 4th of July picnic shopping. I snatched up an armload of the sweet chewy gems on my way to the Esplanade to enjoy the Boston Pops' dress rehearsal. If you are unfamiliar with the event, it is the same show that is broadcast the night of the 4th of July, minus the fireworks. But it is a good show and kind of our tradition. You have to get there hours before and camp out in the elements until the big show. When you have kids you either get quite friendly or quite unfriendly with those who border your blanket. Well, when I busted out the Red Vines (and caused a little commotion among the west-loving crowd I was with) some girls turned around and looked curiously at the bag and said, "You're not from around here, are you?" I replied, "Girls, I am about to change your life" and offered them a vine. Of course they melted. I sung the praises of Wal-Mart and they were off to buy their own stash.

To me, Red Vines are summer. And we all know that summer is the best time of the year. You can't go camping, swimming, boating, anything without a bag of Red Vines. At least that was how I was raised. Only my family bought the big family pack. You know the one, it had an assortment of sizes and shapes and, most importantly, it had black licorice. I am hoping to see that in a Wal-Mart near me soon!

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I just stumbled upon this yummy blog and had no idea it existed until now, what fun! It's me who's been stealing all the redvines from Walmart. The Quincy location typically has a more abundant supply :)